Born and raised in Vermont, Brigid studied American History, Museum Studies, and Studio Art at Smith College. After College she tried her hand at Organic Chemistry, innkeeping, and baking muffins, before heading down to the big city to attend Pratt Institute for an MS in Communications Design in New York City.
Today, Brigid lives in South Philadelphia, where she is an interactive web and print designer whose work has appeared in the The Washington Post, WIRED, and New York Press, among others. She loves to explore illustration and bring the hand-made aesthetic to the screen. Exploring the city for the widest variety of doughnuts, she also cooks experimental dishes and has more podcast subscriptions than she can possibly listen to.
I'm currently available for new freelance opportunities.
Is there a specific project you want to talk about? Are you a representative or an agent who is interested in my work? Or, do you just want to say hi?
Senior Visual Designer
• Led complete overhaul and redesign of company website and microsites
New York, NY
June 2011 – September 2016
• Increased web traffic and retention by improved interaction and usibility
• Produced print and web editions of quarterly Novantas Review magazine
• Designed high fidelity renderings for pricing software
• Met daily requests while keeping long-term projects on track
• Set guidelines for design requests and procedures to improve collaboration
RELEVANT SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
Experience with Mac and PC, including MS Office programs and Adobe Creative Suite: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Acrobat, AfterEffects and Flash; also blogging platforms, HTML, CSS
Print Design Skills
Pre-press file preparation, knowledge of paper types and print techniques, communicate with printers and approve proofs
• Managing workflow through multiple departments
• Take projects from conceptualization to final deliverable, including project evaluation
• Facilitated communication between all levels of stakeholders
• Set priorites to meet tight dealines to produce deliverables
• Compiled vendor cost comparisons and gave recommendations to reduce costs
The Washington Post, WIRED, New York Press; personal branding
Illustration, printmaking, photography, painting, bookmaking skills
AIGA, Art Director’s Club
National Gallery of Art, Toledo Museum of Art, Shelburne Museum,
Smith College Museum of Art, Smithsonian Institution
2011–2016Novantas, Inc, Designer, New York, NY
West Elm, Customer Service and Sales, New York, NY
Burlington City Arts, Teaching Artist, Day Camps, Burlington, VT
Heart of the Village Inn, Assistant Innkeeper, Shelburne, VT
New York, NY
Jan 2009–Dec 2011
M.S. Communications Design, Thesis: “Why We Cook”
A design solution for the real-world problem of unhealthy eating, the thesis posits presenting fond food memories alongside visual storytelling can transform eating habits from processed and fast foods to wholesome ingredients cooked at home.
B.A. American Studies, concentrations in Museum Studies, Studio Art, and History of Art
Honors: Smith College Dean’s List 2001–2005